Page 1 of 2

Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 am
by SpyCam
I have a few questions.

1. It is known, that not all traffic from trades is redirected to correct category pages when using "Redirect incoming hits to niche pages Based on Referer?" function.
Is there some method to log all URLs of referers that weren't redirected to category pages by using this feature? So we could review them and then add some of them to custom redirects list. The only way to find out correct custom redirects now is just to visit bigger trades, go to their category pages and click on my site in the toplist and see if redirects are correct.

2. I am using custom redirects. Is there some way to get the custom redirects list shorter? Sites use different scripts, so category names in their URLs are having different syntax. To get redirects to one category, if it is not a one word category, i have to list at least 4 variants of it:
old%20and%20young|old and young
old-and-young|old and young
old+and+young|old and young
old_and_young|old and young

I think there might be some way of finding a better solution so we could use just "old and young|old and young" and all variants would be catched automatically without loosing time taken for right match for the keywords.

3. 800 groups in SCJ + all the variants (looking at point 2.) and then use of some synonyms (like for "big cock" I use also "big dick") and the custom redirects list is getting very big, around 2k items in it.
I feel that having so many lines in redirects list is making this feature heavy, it takes a lot of time for script to match the correct redirect.
Maybe there is some other method of using this feature, maybe in the htaccess level, so it could be less heavy to the script and also get the problem of point 2. could get fixed this way also?

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:46 pm
by admin
1. It is known, that not all traffic from trades is redirected to correct category pages when using "Redirect incoming hits to niche pages Based on Referer?" function.
Is there some method to log all URLs of referers that weren't redirected to category pages by using this feature? So we could review them and then add some of them to custom redirects list. The only way to find out correct custom redirects now is just to visit bigger trades, go to their category pages and click on my site in the toplist and see if redirects are correct.
When you click "test refs" it shows you which of the logged referrers will be not redirected using current rules.

2. I am using custom redirects. Is there some way to get the custom redirects list shorter? Sites use different scripts, so category names in their URLs are having different syntax. To get redirects to one category, if it is not a one word category, i have to list at least 4 variants of it:
old%20and%20young|old and young
old-and-young|old and young
old+and+young|old and young
old_and_young|old and young

I think there might be some way of finding a better solution so we could use just "old and young|old and young" and all variants would be catched automatically without loosing time taken for right match for the keywords.

I'm not really sure how to catch all the variants but you can use shorter form

old%20and%20young,old-and-young,old+and+young,old_and_young|old and young
3. 800 groups in SCJ + all the variants (looking at point 2.) and then use of some synonyms (like for "big cock" I use also "big dick") and the custom redirects list is getting very big, around 2k items in it.
I feel that having so many lines in redirects list is making this feature heavy, it takes a lot of time for script to match the correct redirect.
Maybe there is some other method of using this feature, maybe in the htaccess level, so it could be less heavy to the script and also get the problem of point 2. could get fixed this way also?
I'm pretty sure if you'll have 2000 lines in htaccess it will be slower. But I didn't try it, so if you'll do it - please let me know, it would be interesting to know results of real tests.

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:39 pm
by SpyCam
admin wrote:
I'm not really sure how to catch all the variants but you can use shorter form

old%20and%20young,old-and-young,old+and+young,old_and_young|old and young
Ok, I will try that
admin wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you'll have 2000 lines in htaccess it will be slower. But I didn't try it, so if you'll do it - please let me know, it would be interesting to know results of real tests.
I might test it, if you show me an example of htaccess code with some few word keywords

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm
by admin
Sorry I don't have ready-made strings but i should be pretty straight forward like

if there's a keyword '..' in referrer - redirect to this page.


You can get a lot of mod_rewrite examples from google.

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm
by SpyCam
OK, will try that when I have more free time.

As a feature request, can also there be redirects feature implemented to redirect to model pages based on model names? Some cjtubes have model directories or they mixed categories and models into categories, and traffic from models pages get to index only.

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:46 pm
by admin

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm
by SpyCam
Yes i know about that, but the problem is that I already use Custom Niche Redirect URL since i'm using non standard rewrites in htaccess.
I use http://www.domain.com/popular/{NICHE_NAME}/1.html

And for models i would need redirects to like:
http://www.domain.com/model/sylvia-saint.html

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm
by admin
You can use free redirect url for models for example
what's wrong with this ?

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:03 am
by SpyCam
OK, will test this one

Re: Redirect incoming hits to niche pages based on referer

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 pm
by admin
ok